Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue


Signage is frequently used to communicate with campus audiences. However, as we strive to share our messages, we should be mindful of the beauty of our campus and how signage can contribute to—or detract from—our growing and evolving Volunteer landscape.

It is with this last goal in mind that Facilities Services, in association with the Office of Communications and Marketing, has drafted policies to provide general guidelines for the consistent and effective use of signage on campus property.

The policy applies to university administrative and academic units, as well as registered student organizations for university-affiliated activities. Non-university or outside organizations, businesses, or individuals are not allowed to place signs on university property. Signage will not be approved or disapproved based on the sign’s message or content.

This policy does not include the distribution of posters, fliers, or handbills on campus. Students, faculty, and staff should reference the “Literature Distribution” policy in Hilltopics for more information.

Temporary Signage (including banners)

All departments, units, and organizations wishing to place temporary signage on campus must complete and submit the signage request form.

Approval must be received before placing temporary signage on campus. Requests will be reviewed by Facilities Services and the Office of Communications and Marketing. Requests for temporary signage on the Ag Campus will be reviewed by UTIA’s Marketing and Communications office. A decision to approve, deny, or modify the request will be returned to the requester within five business days.

If you have any questions about your request after submitting the form, please reach out to Bethany Morris in Facilities Services at 865-776-1812.

Signage Request Form


Interior Signage

Facilities Services and the Office of Communications and Marketing work together to review and approve all requests to install permanent and semi-permanent interior signage on campus—including directional and identifying signage, decorative graphics, and vinyl wall coverings. Approval is not required for framed artwork, canvas prints, awards, temporary informational signs, etc.

Read Interior Signage Standards


Pole Banners

In addition to the information contained in the Temporary Signage policy, designs of pole banners must be in good taste, abide by UT graphic identity standards, and may not contain commercial content. If requested, the Office of Communications and Marketing may design the banners. If this service is required, please submit a project request form and allow at least three additional weeks for design and printing.

Only recognized campus organizations and departments may display pole banners for a predetermined, limited time.

The exact dates when pole banners are put up and taken down will be impacted by the availability of appropriate staff from Facilities Services.

There may be a fee charged by Facilities Services for putting up and taking down pole banners.

The organization wishing to hang pole banners is responsible for all costs associated with producing and hanging the banners.

The size of banners that can be accommodated varies across campus depending upon the hardware on the poles. For specific information, please contact the Office of Communications and Marketing.

Read full policy at PolicyTech